Sunday, February 18, 2007

MAKING A SCENE GETS YOU FREE STUFF

I'm at home away from school for the weekend and a new center with a bunch of restaurants close to my parents house was built recently. I went in for lunch today at this place called Johnny Rockets. Its a pretty basic diner made to look like it time traveled its way from 1955. I thought I'd give it a shot. The food ended up to be pretty good, but actually getting someone to pay attention to you was a different story. When I walked in the place was almost empty, there were only four or five tables of people eating. I sat down at a booth by myself and started to wait. About five minutes after I sat down two new sets of people sat down in the booths to my left and right. They were waited on immediately and got their food in a timely manner, which made me even more frustrated that I hadn't even received a menu (by the way, I have a theory that because I'm skinny the waiters avoid me because they think I won't order as much food and they will get less of a tip, which is completely false).
At the ten minute mark, things started to get interesting. I tried getting their attention, but in less conventional ways, because a smile and a wave just wasn't doing it for these waiters. For every minute I sat their unnoticed, I opened and poured a sugar packet into the middle of my table. This went on until the twenty minute mark, when my one-minute countdown started. I slowly started to push the glass ketchup bottle towards the end of the table. Sure enough, I hadn't even made eye contact with one Johnny Rocket's employee, so when the minute was up, my ketchup bottle crashed onto the ground and shattered. Everyone in the restaurant turned to look in my direction, while I just sat smiling at my table as though nothing had happened.
Almost immediately the manager came out and asked me if I had been helped. When I told him that I had been here for over twenty minutes (taking the time to count how many sugar packets I had opened and explaining my 'one packet per minute' strategy) he told me that my lunch was on him. I graciously accepted his offer and had the manager as my waiter for the rest of my meal.
I count this as a personal victory, and if nothing else I gave the guy a story to tell his friends about a crazy-asshole customer he had to deal with today.

No comments: