Saturday, February 3, 2007

CABO WAS FUN, BUT I'LL NEVER GO BACK

Last year, I went to Cab San Lucas for spring break. I had never gone on a college spring break before and apparently Cab is the default location for college kids to cause havoc on their parent's money for a week, so I decided to go there. The horror stories about people being robbed, kidnapped, or put in jail made me somewhat nervous about traveling to Mexico, but I got over it after my friend told me to grow up (I am a sucker for nonsensical solutions to problems). After booking a room, flight, and paying the extra money for an all-inclusive deal with the hotel it turned into a $1,300 waste of money. We were promised a great hotel room and amazing food, neither of which were true as it turns out. When we arrived to our room we found an 8x8 cell with one small bed and one huge window facing the lovely hallway of the hotel. My friends and I called it "the fish tank" because everyone walking by could see in. We also made a rule the first day that we had to keep the curtains open; for two reasons. First of all they served no purpose because there was no sunlight coming from the hallway, and second it was funny if everyone walking by could look in and see three guys sharing one bed.
The next morning I greatly improved our hotel room situation. I woke up first and decided to wake my roommates up by taking the water balloon launcher we brought and using it to shatter the coffee maker against the wall. What I didn't plan on happening was locking myself out when trying to secure the launcher to the door handle. I immediately heard laughing as the door slammed and knew that there was no chance of them letting me back in. The only thing to do then was to have a serious meeting with the hotel manager, while wearing my boxers, no shoes, and a tank top that I slept in, with the outcome being an incredible new room on the top floor with a huge balcony (which we filled with furniture that we stole from the lobby).

What really made my trip was that we let one kid stay for free (middle of picture) on the condition that he did whatever told him the entire time. Even before the trip started we told him that he wasn't allowed to bring his clothes. Instead, we told him that he had to go into his dad's closet and wear his clothes all week. We made him sleep on the balcony every night, and the maid folded and made his bed on the floor of the balcony every morning. We dressed him like every other "bro" that was in Cabo for spring break. We made him wear a puca-shell necklace, tank tops or Hawaiian shirts every day, we drew tribal armband tattoo's on his arm with permanent marker, and made him do stupid tasks like take "laps" walking around the pool with his elbows cocked out trying to look big like every other guy there. He did end up getting kicked out of almost every club we went to and went home with a black eye, but he thought it was really funny so he was a good sport about it.

This year I really don't want to go back, despite all the peer pressure to go again. I am really interested in going someplace a little more my pace this year, like Costa Rica or anywhere there aren't guys from New York that have been going to the gym and tanning salon's for the last six months to "get ready" for spring break.

No comments: