Sunday, January 21, 2007

BORED IN CLASS, PART I

Any class, no matter what the subject, has its boring moments throughout the semester. These are the times when you have to find things besides the teacher to keep you entertained. Usually, I find certain things amusing that most other people do not. I like to keep people on their toes when I'm bored in class and at least give them something to tell their friends later. Even though it is early on in the semester, I already have what I believe to be funny incidents in class. Most of these are probably the kind of stories where you had to be there, but this is my blog so I'm going to write about them anyway.

One of the most boring points of the semester is the first week, or more specifically the first day. Many teachers in moderate-to-small size classes choose to fill up the first day with the "get to know your neighbor" exercises. Ever since I was in elementary school, I have never taken these types of activities seriously. In one of my classes the first day of school this semester, everyone in the class had to choose three words that would best describe them. I was about the twentieth person to tell the class my three words. Everyone before me used a combination of "ambitious, hard-working, dedicated, or loyal" which are all great qualities, but made this exercise even more boring than it was to begin with, and didn't really give any insight as to the personality of these classmates. When it got to be my turn, I said "genius" followed by a five second pause, during which a couple of heads turned and looked to see what arrogant kid would actually say that about himself. Almost everyone in the now dead-silent class turned to see the obnoxious guy towards the back of the class during the pause after my second word, which was "gorgeous." The silence was broken with laughter after my final word of "humble." I also like it when teachers ask you why you are taking this class. While most people will answer that it fits their schedule or fulfills a requirement, my favorite answer is revenge. Answers like these usually just lighten the mood of a boring first day. Although, caution must be taken when making jokes like these in class, because some teachers do not find them amusing and they keep them in mind when grading.

1 comment:

marissa said...

I hate those getting to know you exercises also. now we have blogs to do that instead.