Sunday, January 28, 2007

ASR

I went to the San Diego Convention Center this weekend for ASR. ASR stands for Action Sports Retail and its a trade show for the Surf, Skate, and Snowboard industry. Every major company in the industry comes down and sets up booths to show off their newest product, whatever that may be. I went down with Happy Magazine, a surf/ lifestyle magazine out of Costa Mesa, California. I have a couple friends that work for the magazine, and sometimes I go in and help out. To put that a better way, sometimes I go over and distract people while they are trying to get work done. The trade show can be sort of a drag and kind of boring if you're working, but I don't have anything of real importance to do down there, so I had a good time. The most interesting booth is always put on by Volcom. This is because they always have a theme for their booth and everyone gets really into it. In the past they have had a Mariachi theme, where they hired real Mariachi bands to play, as well as bringing in donkeys. One show they had a fraternity theme, which was pretty funny. For this trade show they had a 1960's hippie theme, where everyone was wearing tie-died shirts and had long wigs. They actually had a fairly clever sign on their booth that said "moclov not war" (Volcom backwards). Overall it was fun, but it gets boring after half an hour or so.

No comments: